This post is spectacularly late! I’m sorry for the long gap between posts – I’ve been really struggling with sickness and pain management recently and it has left me with no spoons for writing. I’ve been struggling with trying to get the balance of my latest medication (Prostap) right, and have had my tentative diagnosis of adenomyosis confirmed by MRI. I have a lot of half-finished drafts sitting there, but I’m going to kick things off with my collation of daily quotes that I used during March.
Kindness is a big theme in my life – not because I always manage it, but because I always want to be kinder than I am. There are so many things to be kind to in this world – yourself, other people, animals, the planet, people you love and people you hate. To me it is vitally important. My biggest failing in trying to achieve kindness is my tendency to gossip. Sure, I’m not criticising someone to their face so arguably it can’t hurt them, but I think being kind in that kind of consequence-free environment is a far greater mark of character than refraining from being unkind to people face-to-face, where the fear of repercussions is greater. Also, do unto others, etc. I’m working on it, but I still find myself doing it a lot.
I also really suck at being kind to myself sometimes – don’t we all – and that’s an area I’m doing my darndest to work on. As part of that, I’ve recently joined a gym (Fernwood finally seduced me with their persistence and a good deal on price) and am having some PT sessions to get my body back on track without hurting myself (or at least, without hurting my endo. My muscles hate me right now).
I want to preface this by saying that I don’t agree without reservation with all of the quotes here, but generally speaking I think they all have a good message, and that some are incredibly important to remember.
Now, without further rambling:
- “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” – Aesop
- “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” – Lao Tzu
- “Goodness is about character – integrity, honesty, kindness, generosity, moral courage, and the like. More than anything else, it is about how we treat other people.” – Dennis Prager
- “A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.” – Saint Basil
- “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I’ve been searching for a way to heal myself, and I’ve found that kindness is the best way.” – Lady Gaga
- “Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver.” – Barbara De Angelis
- “You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should behave.” – Captain Beefheart
- “Contact kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” – Albert Schweitzer
- “Just imagine how different the world could be if we all spoke to everyone with respect and kindness.” – Holly Branson
- “I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.” – Khalil Gibran.
- “Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not.” – Samuel Johnson
- “Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom.” – Theodore Isaac Rubin
- “Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.” – George Sand
- “I make mistakes daily, letting generalisations creep into my thoughts and negatively effect my behaviour. These mistakes have taught me that the first step to successfully choosing kindness is being more mindful about it, letting go of impatience and intolerance along the way.” – Daniel Lubetzky
- “The true greatness of a person, in my view, is evident in the way he or she treats those with whom courtesy and kindness are not required.” – Joseph B Wirthlin
- “Human kindness have never weakened the stamina or softened the fibre of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.” – Franklin D Roosevelt
- “Transparency, honesty, kindness, good stewardship, even humour, work in business at all times.” – Humphry Davy
- “The man who practices unselfishness, who is genuinely interested in the welfare of others, who feels it is a privilege to have the power to do a fellow creature a kindness – even though polished manners and a gracious presence may be absent – will be an elevating influence wherever he goes.” – Orison Swett Marden
- “Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for kindness.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “Treat everyone with respect and kindness. Period. No exceptions.” – Kiana Tom
- “Every minute of every hour of every day you are making the world, just as you are making yourself, and you may as well do it with generosity and kindness and style.” – Rebecca Solnit
- “The best portion of a good man’s life is his little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.” – William Wordsworth
- “You will never have a completely bad day if you show kindness at least once.” – Greg Henry Quin
- “Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are.” – Harold S Kushner
- “Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerney
- “Strong people don’t put others down…they lift them up.” – Michael P Watson
- “A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.” – James Keller
- “Do not let kindness and truth leave you. Tie them around your neck as a reminder; write them deep within your heart.” – Proverbs 3:3
- “Consistent acts of kindness trump random acts of kindness.” – Anonymous
How have you tried to be kind to yourself or others this month? What about going forward? Let me know in the comments.